MANHATTAN OPEN RHINOPLASTY
The Manhattan open rhinoplasty procedure requires an incision across the columella. It is Dr. Aston’s professional opinion, that an open rhinoplasty is only indicated when the anatomy of the nose is extremely complex. This is regardless whether it is your first rhinoplasty or a secondary rhinoplasty. This rhinoplasty approach does improve diagnostic accuracy as well as helps to facilitate the precision of re-engineering a severely misshapen nose. However, Manhattan open rhinoplasty is also a very rigorous surgery. Dr. Aston is committed to using this approach for his very unique and special cases. In the majority of rhinoplasty cases that Dr. Aston performs, the Manhattan closed rhinoplasty approach is used.
WHO IS A CANDIDATE FOR OPEN RHINOPLASTY IN MANHATTAN?
This rhinoplasty is generally recommended for patients displaying the following characteristics:
- Nasal tumors
- Thick or thin nasal skin
- Cleft lip and palate involving the nose
- Deviated nasal septum or Septal perforations
- Internal dysfunction of nasal structures
- Extensive augmentations to the various structures of the nose, especially internally
- Longer surgery time
- Recovery can take longer than a comparable closed procedure
- Incision of the columella can also leave a visible scar
- Columellar incision can lead to postoperative edema (swelling)
- Numbness of the nasal tip